Thursday, January 21, 2021

Amanda Gorman recites her poem, The Hill We Climb, at Biden's inauguration

I missed bits and pieces of Biden's inauguration including Amanda Gorman's recitation of her poem, The Hill We Climb. No wonder people were blown away by her words; what gush of fresh air and light after such a long, drawn out gloom and doom, "the American carnage":

https://youtu.be/38Rn5WULjmc

In her interview with Anderson Cooper, he asked if she could reveal her pre-recitation mantra and she said, “I do it whenever I perform, and I definitely did it this time. I close my eyes and I say: I am the daughter of Black writers, we are descended from freedom fighters, who broke their chains and changed the world. They call me."

-----

Like my hero, René Lévesque, I was an Americophile (the revolution, the words and ideas of the founding fathers, Lincoln, the great literary tradition it forged as a young nation) but, like Lévesque, I became disillusioned by what America has longtime become. Gorman is that light that beckoned me originally.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment